
Sunday morning, July 23, was moving day for me. I had to pack up all my stuff (all four bags), go to the Indianapolis airport, and hopped on a plane for Columbia, South Carolina and the Army Chaplain School at Fort Jackson. My unit will be spending more time in Indiana, but I had to leave them in order to finish my chaplain training. Besides having great accomodations at the chaplain school, it is nice to be around my fellow chaplains. Rumor has it that there are other Catholic priests here, even though I have not met them yet. I look forward to concelebrating Mass with them tomorrow morning.
As you can tell from the pictures, my last day with my unit in Indiana was a fun day. We had finished the hardest part of our training so we celebrating by taking a bus to Cincinatti and went to a Reds game. The pictures above are me and my assistant, James, sitting in the stands as well as me in front of the stadium. There were three highlights of the experience for me. First, the Reds beat the Milwaukee Brewers. I am not a big Reds fan but I rooted for them anyway. Second, I spent a few innings hanging out with the Hartmans, the parents of a good friend of mine. Third, before the game I got the chance to talk to a high school classmate of mine that is currently a pitcher for the Brewers. I was shocked he remembered me, but it was nice to hear about his wife (another classmate of mine) and his two kids. He was shocked that I was a priest getting ready to go to Iraq. I don't know whose life has been more eventful.
# posted by Fr. Mark Beran : 19:09

