20060821
Happy Birthday to Mike and Me!
Happy Birthday, Mike!
Today my twin brother, Mike, and I turn 31. As friends reminded me last year, 30 is OLD!. I wonder what they think of me now. Just remember, at 31 Jesus was still starting his ministry. Here you can see a picture of Mike and I in Hawaii last February. How I wish I could being going back to that beach rather than the one I am going to in a few weeks!
I think God gave me a twin for a reason. Even in the womb, God wanted me to know that I am not alone. Now more than ever, God continues to remind me that I am not going through this life alone. Though I may try to ignore his presence, God is always there. He is the one who made me who I am. I am grateful for that.
A couple years ago there was a six month stretch where people were consistently giving me two observations. The first observation was that I would not have a normal priesthood. I have no idea what a "normal" life as a priest would look like. Whatever their view of "normal" was, my future to them was going to be nothing resembling it. So far, those random people with seemingly random comments have been right. If you asked people I grew up with, they probably would have guess I would be your average hard working and loving husband and father (which actually takes more courage these days than what I will be facing). The only one who always knew I would be a priest was my brother Mike. He always knew.
The second observation that I have recieved from tons of people on many occassions has been, "You are so normal." What they have meant by this, I think, is "You are so normal for being a priest". Once again, I have no idea what a "normal" person looks like in their eyes. Even more astonishing is the view that every priest they have met is not "normal". I am not sure if that is a compliment or a put down on priests. In the end, I take it as a compliment because almost everyone sees themself as normal. By saying that I am so normal, they are really saying that they can relate to me and that I can relate to them. What a compliment!
On this, my 31st birthday, I think of Mike and the fact he always has known me better than I know myself and how God reminds me through him that I will never be alone. I also think of the fact that people are shocked that I am so "normal" but how my priesthood will be anything but "normal". I never would have guessed that the last 31 years would have led me where I am now. The scary thing for all of you should be that if all of this can happen to me, imagine what God could have planned for you! I have no idea what the future holds for me except for a big beach with no water. Besides that, I am sure God will continue to lead this "normal" guy in his "abnormal" priesthood.
"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you"--God
Happy Birthday, Mike! 31 is OLD!
Today my twin brother, Mike, and I turn 31. As friends reminded me last year, 30 is OLD!. I wonder what they think of me now. Just remember, at 31 Jesus was still starting his ministry. Here you can see a picture of Mike and I in Hawaii last February. How I wish I could being going back to that beach rather than the one I am going to in a few weeks!
I think God gave me a twin for a reason. Even in the womb, God wanted me to know that I am not alone. Now more than ever, God continues to remind me that I am not going through this life alone. Though I may try to ignore his presence, God is always there. He is the one who made me who I am. I am grateful for that.
A couple years ago there was a six month stretch where people were consistently giving me two observations. The first observation was that I would not have a normal priesthood. I have no idea what a "normal" life as a priest would look like. Whatever their view of "normal" was, my future to them was going to be nothing resembling it. So far, those random people with seemingly random comments have been right. If you asked people I grew up with, they probably would have guess I would be your average hard working and loving husband and father (which actually takes more courage these days than what I will be facing). The only one who always knew I would be a priest was my brother Mike. He always knew.
The second observation that I have recieved from tons of people on many occassions has been, "You are so normal." What they have meant by this, I think, is "You are so normal for being a priest". Once again, I have no idea what a "normal" person looks like in their eyes. Even more astonishing is the view that every priest they have met is not "normal". I am not sure if that is a compliment or a put down on priests. In the end, I take it as a compliment because almost everyone sees themself as normal. By saying that I am so normal, they are really saying that they can relate to me and that I can relate to them. What a compliment!
On this, my 31st birthday, I think of Mike and the fact he always has known me better than I know myself and how God reminds me through him that I will never be alone. I also think of the fact that people are shocked that I am so "normal" but how my priesthood will be anything but "normal". I never would have guessed that the last 31 years would have led me where I am now. The scary thing for all of you should be that if all of this can happen to me, imagine what God could have planned for you! I have no idea what the future holds for me except for a big beach with no water. Besides that, I am sure God will continue to lead this "normal" guy in his "abnormal" priesthood.
"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you"--God
Happy Birthday, Mike! 31 is OLD!