20060920

I am FINALLY here!

After the grandeur, beauty, and prestige of Saint Cecilia Cathedral, there is only one place a priest can go, Iraq. Talk about a contrast. I was an assistant in Omaha and now I am the only Army priest for 20,000+ soldiers on one of the largest posts we have in Iraq. That does not count the other small posts in the area that have no priest and are hoping I will visit regularly. Needless to say, I will be busy. It is nice to finally be here. I have spent the summer as a nomad wandering from Indiana, to South Carolina, back to Indiana, (in the last few days) to Kuwait, and now to Iraq. I am looking forward to at least a little stability as I was actually able to unpack all my stuff for the first time since I left Nebraska. As far as my life here goes, it is not bad at all. I have my own room (air conditioned) and an office that I share with my assistant. I even have a Humvee to get me from point to point (it is not as nice as it sounds). It is very hot here, but this being September I think I missed the worst of it, at least until next summer roles around. A 100 degree day is nothing here, but you get used to it quickly enough. On the post, it is relatively safe. Fortunately, the soldiers I serve have had no major mishaps yet. Pray that that does not change. Pray that I may serve them well if it does. One thing I am doing is saying Masses for the 8th graders as they get ready for Confirmation. I thought it interesting that I flew over here on the Exaltation of the Cross. Unfortunately, I was not able to say Mass that day because I was on planes and in airports for literally the whole day. My first Mass over here was commemorating Our Lady of Sorrows (Claire Riley and Kaitlyn Sapone were the joint intention that day). It is fitting that I started my time over here thinking of Jesus’ death on the Cross for us and the heart of his Mother as she watched her son/the Son of God die. I hope our soldiers can have a deep understanding of the Cross as the way to life and that they may model the heart of Mary. Keep me and our soldiers in your prayers. I will try to update this site once every two weeks or so. Of course, that all depends. Keep the letters and email coming. I will try to write back if I can. My mailing address: Fr. Mark Beran/ 734th Trans. BN/ APO AE 09391 email: mark.beran@us.army.mil The pictures: 2 are of my office (one of them being my body armor on a stand). 2 other pictures are of my room. I live in basically a mobile home divided into three room. The sandbags all around our living quarters are everywhere here.




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?