
Labor Day weekend was my last weekend in South Carolina. Due to the mercy shown to us by the Chaplain School, we were given Monday off. This allowed my brother and sister-in-law, Mike and Kathy, to meet me in Atlanta (a 3 1/2 hour drive from Columbia, SC). The weekend was a great way to spend what may be my last free weekend in the United States for a while. It was a great weekend that included going to a University of Georgia football game (see pictures), touring around Atlanta, going to Mass at Atlanta's Cathedral of Christ the King, and running into a science-fiction convention. Highlights of the weekend include: (1) The tradition surrounding Georgia football. One thing I never saw before was the practice of many female students wearing nice dresses to the game and some of the guy wearing shirts and ties. I was not sure if I was going to a football game or an opera. I went to the game in my Nebraska shirt trying to pretend that I accidentally went to the wrong Big Red game. One other thing, from the pictures you can see that we were about eye-level with the blimp. (2) The Atlanta Cathedral does not hold a candle to Saint Cecilia's. If anyone out there has Atlanta roots, I am sorry but it is true. (3) Science fiction conventions are "interesting" places to be. I wish people got into their faith as much as they do their TV shows, comic books, movies, and video games. As you can see in the pictures, we even ran into Frodo and Gandalf from Lord of the Rings and a few Storm Troopers taking a break from trying to squash the Rebellion. (4) I have had a lot of requests from people who want their picture on this blog. They see it as a path to stardom or fame or something. With that in mind, I wanted to be sure that Kathy, my brother Mike's wife, made the webpage. Congrats Kathy, you made it on. For all the other "being-on-Fr. Beran's Blog" wannabes, better luck next time. Putting the weekend aside, the only things left for me now are to graduate from the Chaplain School on Friday (Sept 8) and catch a flight overseas. The wait is almost over! Hoohah! True da, Dog! (inside joke) I will miss the light, blue morning skies of South Carolina, though.
# posted by Fr. Mark Beran : 11:34

