20070601

Memorial Day: Lord, give rest to those who have died serving our country.

This is an article that Specialist Jennifer Short of my battalion wrote for her hometown paper: I was home in April for my R & R leave, even though it was only for a short period of time, it was well worth coming home to family, friends and the community. Even though on my flight over, all that kept going through my head is how am I suppose to get all the things done in two weeks before coming back over here, the most important thought, that I would have my little girl in my arms again. As my plane landed, I do have to admit, I was a little worried of how my daughter would take to me, along with my husband, family and friends. Why you may ask to being worried, for the fact when you are away from home for quite some time, things change. Not only that for my situation, my husband and I have been apart since he left the states in October 2005, but now he is in the states and he was able to have leave when I came home. Even between two people, the distance and time apart, people change either to better themselves or sometimes for the worse. But it takes two strong people to believe that it will work, it may be just a relationship or even a marriage. But in some form, you lose a connection, you don't know who that other person is because of changes but then you got to keep in mind, the distance and time apart has a lot to do with it. It takes two people to have hope, faith and love. When I first seen my my husband, my daughter and my mother, it was a little awkward at first, but with smiles and hugs, but the look from my daughters eyes, I knew I was home and all the time that I have been away, at that point, it didn't matter, the feeling is beyond explanation to be home with your loved ones. Two weeks went by very quickly that is for sure, as my time flew by and I had to get back on that plane, after hugs and kisses, I looked back once with tears in my eyes and saying good bye again, I wanted to look back a second, but couldn't. Knowing my husband and my mother were there, but for my daughter, it was hard saying good bye to her again. But I knew that I only had about three months to go and I would be home. Now that I have been here little over a month from my leave, about two months to go, we are all counting down the time to come home to our loveds ones and our communities. Some of us are counting down the months, but months just seem to long, some are counting down the weeks, which is kinda nice doing that if you have those Monday blues, it is one less Monday, and some count down the days, but for me that just seems too many. The weather here, yes indeed it is getting hotter and all the little lizards are out having to watch where you walk so you don't step on them. Not sure why I am so amazed with these lizards, probably because I have never seen so many. Many want us to come home, which is very understandable because of what they see and hear on television, even from our politics. Operation Iraqi Freedom, we are trying to give these people hope of better lives from a leader that terrified them and brainwashed many of them of terrorism for many years. As we are still here, we will continue to fight for it is our job, it is our obligation to give these people hope of human dignity. I pulled duty a day ago and I was standing watch, an Iraqi man walking looked over at us, smiled and waved at my buddy and I. Later on through our duty we seen and Iraqi Man and Woman riding on a two-wheel cart being pulled by donkeys, looked at us with smiles on their faces and gave us a thumbs up. That example right there, shows me we are doing something good here for these people. Many of you know someone that has served in the military in the past to present, hearing and seeing what the news portrays can be heart broking. Many back home of course don't believe in the cause of this war or any type of war, but all I can ask is to believe in your nation's soldiers that they are protecting our nation, the meaning of our flag when it is proudly flying and even neatly folded, but to continue the support that you all have given for us. It is very meaningful and appreciated. I know for myself, when hearing the Star Spangled Banner, standing at attention, it still brings tears to my eyes. I know at times, we all do this, we sometimes think of only ourselves and wanting this or that, but when I hear this song and see our flag, I stop and realize that I am greatful for what I do have, my husband, my daughter, my family, friends and the community that comes together to help one another when one is in need, but I am also greatful for those that have fought and are still fighting for our nation, but it's flag and for what it stands. I would like to say once again, for your support. As a day of a special remembrance of those that have fallen in the past to now, I hope all of you had time during Memorial Day to have a moment of silence for those that have and are still fighting for the freedom we have, but also the opportunities that we have in our lives. This is also a day to remember those that are not with us today, 9/11. You may not believe in such a war that brings tragedy, even sorrow to the hearts that have lost someone. As a soldier of all branches, from National Guard, Reserves, Army, Marines, Navy, Airforce, Coast Guard and many others, we took an oath to serve our nation with honor, dignity and pride and it is our job to protect our nation, but our people from a war coming to the homefront. But to remember those that have fallen to protect this nation, its people and freedom. God Bless You All! Sincerely,SPC Jennifer (Forney) Short734th Trans BNLSA Anaconda, Iraq





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?